Sunday, September 23, 2012

Traveling

After our 2 week vacation we had to fly back to Texas so that we could fly to Germany. Sounds weird right? Well this is our first time moving with the Air Force and they said we either could fly out of Abilene for free, or make our own way to Baltimore and get reimbursed. 
Since our extra funds were scarce we opted for the cheaper choice of flying back to Dallas and getting a ride back to Abilene so we could fly out of there. Luckily we have some absolutely amazing friends who took pity on us and came and got us from the Dallas airport at 11:30 pm and drove us the 3 hours back to Abilene and even let us crash on their couch. They even let us borrow their car in the morning so we could make our flight from Abilene to Dallas. (If you're wondering, yes we know now.) Then from Dallas to Baltimore where we were also very lucky to have wonderful friends willing to come pick us up and let us stay with them, then drive us to the airport again in the morning. They even drove us around the DC area and I got to see the Washington monument form afar. Thanks again to both the Bayley's and the Wilson's for taking in the homeless and getting us to where we needed to be. You guys are the absolute best!!!!
Finally though we get checked in for our flight from Baltimore to Germany. It was delayed a couple of hours due to a thunder storm but finally we took off. I have to admit I was too excited to sleep and taking a sleeping pill didn't help, in fact it made me even more antsy and go figure when we landed was about the time the pill started kicking in. I was the walking dead for my first day in Germany. I don't remember much more then windy roads, eating some food, nearly falling asleep while standing up, oh and that our hotel wouldn't let us check in when we got there because we were 2 hours early for regular check in time. When we finally did check in I crashed. 
My first week in Germany was spent making sure I stayed awake during the day so that I could sleep through the night. I got it easy, Ricky had to start some of his in-processing and take his driving test and go get a rental car so that we wouldn't be stranded at the hotel over the weekend. He is pretty amazing cause he got all the he could done and in the end we had a rental car, a crappy rental car but a rental car all the same. 

No comments: